Checkout my Docker Image

Hi!

I just started to develop a Website with DjangoCMS. I find it a good practise to keep my server organized with docker containers.

As I didn’t find an official docker image, I decided to make my own image with DjangoCMS and PostgreSQL. Although I am already quite happy with it, I wouldn’t call it “stable” yet - mostly because I didn’t find the time to document all the functionality yet.

However, I would feel privileged if you would try it out and maybe give me some feedback on possible missing features or any bugs you may find.

Please find the image here

The corresponding GitHub project lives here

Looking forward to your opinion.

3 Likes

Hello,

I would recommend too add some instructions how to get this project up and running :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @crydotsnake. You are right! I will provide some short instruction later.

In the mean time, for those who know how to use a docker-compose file it shouldn’t be too hard to figure it out.

Can you maybe explain too me why you have three docker-compose.yml files?

docker-compose_default.yml didnt work for me when building the container. But docker-compose_build.yml works well :slight_smile:

There is also a error message i get.

Adding 0.0.0.0 too my ALLOWED_HOSTS has not changed anything:

ALLOWED_HOSTS = ['0.0.0.0']

Thanks for trying it out even before I posted my explanation. It’s just I am not home at the moment otherwise I would post it now :slight_smile:

Coming back to your questions:

• docker-compose_default.yml should in principle get the precompiled docker image from docker hub and generate two containers (one holding djangocms and the other holding postgresql).
  • docker-compose_default.yml on the other hand should build the docker image on your computer
  • docker-compose_ssh_access.yml should be very similar to docker_compose_default.yml, except that it generates a third container with ssh access to the djangocms container. This might be useful in order to do the development on a remote server without opening another port on the djangocms container (because this could be a vulnerability).

Apart from that, I currently don’t really know where your error message is coming from. All I can say at the moment is that I tried it myself multiple times and never had this issue. But I know that is not a satisfactory answer… maybe we can figure it out later…

So here’s just a very brief introduction on how I bring the container up on my system, which I just checked to be working:

I use a Computer with Debian Bullseye x64 and docker as well as docker compose installed as explained here:

In principle that shouldn’t matter, because Docker should run just the same on every system.

Next I created a folder to do my test. Then I opened a console, navigated to that folder an issued the following commands:

1. git clone git@github.com:speendo/djangocms-postgres-docker.git
  2. cd djangocms-postgres-docker/
  3. mv docker-compose_default.yml docker-compose.yml
  4. docker-compose up

When docker was “ready” (notifying me with “[INFO] Booting worker with pid: 40”) I opened http: // localhost:9090/ (sorry, I wanted to make this a link but as a new user I am not allowed to do so) and the usual Django login scren was there.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’m sure we can!

You should add the instructions too your GitHub Repo also :wink:

Did this work for you?

Concerning the GitHub Repo I think I should also add an explanation for all the variables in /env/djangocms.env and /env/postgres.env. I will do that soon but at the moment I need to take care of some other stuff on my own DjangoCMS instance :slight_smile:

I just updated the documentation for my django CMS docker image. Please find it here: https://hub.docker.com/r/speendo/djangocms-postgresql

I would feel privileged if one or the other would try it and give me some feedback on possible improvements.